What We Do
VCU Health’s Compliance Services is dedicated to the advancement of professional standards of conduct and ethical practices throughout the organization. Compliance Services aspires to promote a culture of compliance by preventing, correcting and investigating issues through consultation, education and enforcement. Our goal is to provide all employees and visitors to our site a central location for accessing information regarding the wide range of compliance issues that impact the health system.
Core elements of the program include:
- Commitment and support from executive leaders’ institutional policies standards and expectations
- Education and outreach
- Routine monitoring and auditing
- Timely and appropriate responses to compliance issues
- On-going assessment, analysis and response to emerging risks and regulatory developments
- Processes which invite and enable the safe reporting of compliance concerns
- Timely investigation of reported concerns and protecting of complainant rights
- Implementation of appropriate sanctions and corrective actions to address noncompliance when it occurs
- Process improvement projects as needed to enhance compliance efforts
- Regular evaluations of program effectiveness
The commitment to compliance is embedded in the expectation that all members of the medical center will meet the professional, ethical and regulatory standards associated with their individual roles. Faculty, staff, residents, students and other affiliates are all expected to maintain current knowledge of rules and regulations related to their work, comply with the medical center’s policies and procedures, act in a professional and ethical manner, and contact appropriate institutional offices when questions or concerns about compliance arise.
VCU Health Code of Ethics
VCU Health is committed to an environment of uncompromising integrity and ethical conduct. Our ethical standards are the foundation for our decisions and actions. As employees of the health system our actions will be guided by these principles and values:
- Respect: We will respect individuals, diversity and the rights of others.
- Honesty: We will act and communicate honestly and candidly. We will not mislead others.
- Excellence: We will strive for excellence in all that we do.
- Responsibility and Accountability: We will be responsible and accountable for our decisions and actions and will comply with the laws, regulations, policies and procedures that govern our health system activities.
- Stewardship: We will be good stewards of the resources entrusted to the health system.
- Compliance: We will understand and comply with the codes, laws, regulations, policies and procedures that govern our health system activities.
Our decisions and actions reflect not only upon our individual reputations but also upon the reputation of the health system. Our actions will be guided by these ethical principles and values even when confronted by personal, professional, social or economic pressures.